At ALT’s meetings priority is given to the unhurried presentation and discussion of typological research worth reporting on, and, in addition, host institutions are expected to provide instruction in a language, language family, or linguistic area of their choice.
- ALT 14 will be hosted by the Department of LInguistics at the University of Texas at Austin, Texas, USA. Further information will be posted as it becomes available.
Past Meetings and Conferences
After a pre-inaugural get-together in Konstanz (Germany) in November 1994, ALT’s inaugural meeting was held in Vitoria-Gasteiz (Basque Country, Spain) in September 1995, attended by some 100 typologists. The second general meeting took place in Eugene, Oregon (USA), 11-14 September 1997, and the third in Amsterdam, August 1999. Regional workshops have been devoted to methodology (Konstanz, June 1995), the Kartvel family (Jena, Germany, December 1995), modality (Antwerp, November 1996), Malay/Indonesian linguistics (Penang, Malaysia, January 1997) and reflexives/reciprocals (Konstanz, May 2000). From then on, ALT’s conferences and workshops are held every two years.
More details on past meetings can be obtained from the ALT News archive.
Biennial Conferences in chronological order
- ALT 1, 1995, Vitoria-Gasteiz, The Basque Country, Spain
- ALT 2, 1997, Eugene, Oregon, USA
- ALT 3, 1999, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- ALT 4, 2001, Santa Barbara, California, USA
- ALT 5, 2003, Sardinia, Italy
- ALT 6, 2005, Padang, Indonesia
- ALT 7, 2007, Paris, France
- ALT 8, 2009, Berkeley, California
- ALT 9, 2011, Hong Kong, China
- ALT 10, 2013 August 15 – 18, Leipzig, Germany
- ALT 11, 2015, Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
- ALT 12, 2017, Canberra (ANU), Australia
- ALT 13, 2019, Pavia,Italy